Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Speech

I wish I'd had a tape recorder or video camera today.  I briefly shared my story of an abusive childhood and precious recovery with my Public Speaking class.  I wasn't at all nervous or worried about what to say...but the time passed so quickly that it's all a blur to me.  I could see that nearly the entire class was on the edge of their seats listening, all of the feedback was positive, my professor forgot that he was supposed to be watching my delivery (in order to give me a grade), and there were several people who thanked me for sharing.  No one got up and left.  No rotten tomatoes were thrown.  But I just don't remember what I said, how I said it, or even what the audience perceived as the point.

I hope they heard the message that there is always hope.  God is faithful to redeem.  Peace and restoration are within reach for everyone.  There is no time like the present to begin dealing with a painful past.  The "better than my parents" bar can be set tragically low for too many people, and therefore shouldn't be a goal for any of us.  Healing, wholeness and completion should be the heart's desire for each of us.  A full, happy life is not limited to "some" of us and not "others".

It was not possible for me to deliver 36+ years of life experience and lessons into a 15 minute speech, so I'm trusting that God delivered the right message for the right people this morning.  Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."  Luke 18:27

No comments: