Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Life... Abundant life.

My friend gave me a little gift on Sunday morning.


I immediately commented on how I love John 10:10 so very much.  That scripture puts a smile on my face every time I see it.  God has so abundantly given me a full life.

I especially love it in its entirety.  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  The thief had stolen a great deal from me.  The thief attempted to destroy me, along with future generations.  But God sent his son so that I would have life.  Abundant life.

As I often do though ... I opened my mouth and inserted my foot.  I tend to be a little sarcastic, thinking of myself as witty and clever.

I read the scripture aloud, said: "Did Jesus hatch from an egg?", and gave my friend a wink.

Seriously.  I said that.  Feel free to smack me.

I love the egg and I said as much...but then I cracked my joke and sounded like a jerk.

Thankfully my friend is merciful and was willing to explain something to me that I'd never heard.  The egg is a symbol of life.  Birth.  Rebirth.  Resurrection.

I will never again look at an egg without this in mind.  As I'm scrambling, boiling or cracking one open, I won't think about the chick that didn't hatch; rather, I will remember the risen Savior and my own miraculously restored life.  (The chick that finally did hatch...all because of Him!)

He's given me abundant life.

Thank you, God, for amazing friends who put up with me and love me so much more than I deserve.  They are such a precious part of my abundant life.  My cup runneth over.

No comments: