Friday, October 28, 2011

a Father's guidance

I snapped these pictures because it reminded me of when I was a little girl and my dad would let me come out and "help" him mow the lawn.  I loved that so much.  I'm pretty sure I was in the way more than anything, but I loved that he let me walk along with him.


These pictures of Zach and Bryan are wonderful.  Bryan is sincerely trying to teach him how to mow - as opposed to years prior when Zach was just out there for fun (like I was).  It reminds me so much of how our Heavenly Father is constantly teaching and guiding us, prompting us to try something that feels "too hard" or "beyond our abilities".


I love how Zach is behind the mower all by himself here, with his father at his side, ready to assist at any moment.  Zach is not alone.  His father is even looking ahead to see what is coming - taller, wiser, with a better vantage point...while Zach's eyes are planted firmly on the mower directly in front of him.

This photo just gives me such a beautiful visual of what my journey is like with my Heavenly Father beside me.  I'm overwhelmed by difficulty and focused on what's right in front of me - or I'm thinking about how super smart, independent and capable I am - while He is patient, ever-present and faithful to provide direction, guidance, help, encouragement, reassurance...and he knows what lies ahead and is ready to walk me through it. 

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 

"You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head." Psalm 139:5

"even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me." Psalm 139:10

And, of course, a very favorite piece of scripture:  “I will go before you, Cyrus, and level the mountains.  I will smash down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron."  Isaiah 45:2

As I watched Bryan and Zach mow the yard, I saw Bryan help maneuver the mower through tricky turns, push it up a steep slope, and remove sticks and rocks that were in Zach's way.  Knowing that God loves Zach even more than Bryan does, how can we even conceive of how much more willing and able God is to help Zach - and all of His children - as we journey through life?

No comments: