Thursday, June 17, 2010

Who He Says I Am

We are having an awesome week at Vacation Bible School.  In the five years that I've been teaching at VBS, this is the very best theme we've ever had.  Saddle Ridge Ranch rocks!

The boys and I have been singing VBS tunes all week - at church, in the van, at home...  Our very favorite is Who He Says I am, so when I discovered this fun art lesson, I knew it would be a hit with my boys and would perfectly compliment our week.


As we worked on our self portraits, we talked about who God says we are.  How we are His children.  How He made each of us unique.  How we're special.  How He will always love us.  How each of us has a purpose.  And on, and on, and on...  I never tire of this discussion!

I wanted these projects to be more permanent than a sheet of art paper.  I also wanted to include the song lyrics to Who He Says I Am.  So...  I dug out some framed canvas that I had in my scrapbooking room.  To add color and interest behind the portrait (that the boys would be doing) I used Mod Podge to glue some pieces of scrapbooking paper down, and then I let the boys go to town!



For the most part, they followed Patty's instructions...  I, however, never know what I'm supposed to do when their imaginations start taking over!  Luke's neck started out as a neck, but then he turned it into his body.  Tiny body for that huge head!  If there are any artists reading this...  Am I supposed to "correct" them??  I always feel as if forcing them to do it a certain way would be to take the art and creativity right out of the art project.  Then again, he's gotta learn that people have necks!  (I told him.  He knows.  He just wanted to draw a body!  He's my Picasso.)

Drumroll please....

My boys.


Zach.  Notice his orange dimple.  Nostrils.  His two front lower teeth, smaller than the others because they're still growing in.


Luke.  He has tiny brown ears, and an enormous purple mole (that is on top of his ear in real life).  He has blue eyes, but no pupils.  His red lips are open wide, showing his black teeth that are not rotten.  He has a yellow neck that could easily be mistaken for a chin.  He has a tiny orange body, long green arms, and short blue legs.


Every artist has a creative signature.


Brothers.  They are who God says they are.

1 comment:

Patty Palmer said...

I think these are just precious. Necks and body proportions will come...just enjoy the moment (as I think you did!)
Wonderful.