Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer bucket list

By the first of April, I am really looking forward to summer.  I'm completely sucked in by the promise of warmer weather, coming out of hibernation, regaining full control over our family's schedule, staying up late and sleeping in, traveling, exploring, playing.  With summer comes freedom and loads of incredible, intentional family time.  After months of adhering to school schedules, I embrace the change with wide open arms...and a bucket list.

This year is no different.

We're two weeks into our summer and have already checked a couple of things off our list!

On the list:

Vacations to Disney, Memphis and Colorado
Road trips to explore our great state of Kansas
Our dear friends visiting from out of town for two days
A week at VBS and another at Upwards basketball camp
Visits to the Truman and Eisenhower Presidential Lirbaries
Lots of bike rides, pool days and family runs
Many trips to Worlds and Oceans of Fun
Firepit nights with family and friends
Hours spent playing outdoors
Pick up a new instrument
Community service
Read every day
Write

Reading is a big deal for us every summer.  We read a ton of various fiction, and I have always read a book of the Bible with the boys over the summer.  Months ago, I felt God leading me to something a little different this summer.  Instead of one book of the Bible, we will be studying the Fruits of the Spirit in depth.  Nine fruits, over nine weeks.  As the boys approach their 7th and 10th birthdays, their character (fruit) is something my husband and I are acutely aware of.

(My goodness, I had no idea how much hard, intentional work is involved in mothering!  I've said it hundreds of times already and I'll say it again...becoming a mother was the most arrogant thing I have ever done.  I thought I could do this, but I absolutely could NOT do it well without God.  No way.  Praise God for do-overs and his instruction manual, The Holy Bible.  And for godly friends and mentors.  And for my incredible partner - my stud-muffin husband.  Without you all, I'd be a hot mess...and so would my kids.  But, I digress.)

Beyond flip flops and sun dresses (which I adore!), I love that summer is a time to say yes more often than no.  I love that it affords us the opportunity to pour into our kids without other commitments or distractions.  I love that it is a time for reconnecting with friends and family, and a time to foster new and different friendships too.

I love the possibilities that summer offers - new adventures and discoveries, new growth.

What a gift it is to get to spend these precious months of uninterrupted time with our boys.  Our future men.  I pray, men of godly character.

"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."  Galatians 5:22-23

No comments: