Friday, March 26, 2010

our month in review

There are only five days left in the month of March, and I think this is only my 8th post.  Not because I haven't had much going on or much to say, but because I've had a lot going on!  And sometimes because there's been so much to say and I didn't know where to start.

The second annual for KIDS by KIDS bike-a-thon was supposed to take place in September, but was bumped up to May 8th.  I have been crazy busy!  Pulling together a plan for the event.  Firming up details.  Securing donations of food for 500 and four bounce houses.  Rounding up volunteers.  Having fliers, posters and signs made.  Designing a blog.

We took over a paper route, so now we only sleep in increments of four hours.  We've been kinda tired.  I applied for a job as a freelance writer, but "since they have been so overwhelmed with applicants, they have regretfully had to turn away some very talented writers".  I'm one of them.  But, then I picked up a week's worth of work filling in for our church receptionist while she takes a vacation next week.  When one door closes, another opens...  We continue to be amazed by God's provision during Bryan's layoff.

I've seen three doctors in an attempt to better understand my PCOS and its impact on my life.  We are still waiting on my lab results, but it's pretty clear that I'm having trouble processing insulin and that's taking a toll on my weight, complexion, diet and emotions.  We're not talking diabetes just yet, but it is a significant risk factor - one that we are aggressively trying to avoid.  I'm adopting more of a diabetic diet, exercising more, and changing my meds...  If that doesn't work, I may start seeing an endocrinologist and begin a more complicated treatment.

We enjoyed a wonderful spring break, but ended it with a virus.  Luke ran a 102-103 fever from Saturday - Tuesday, and generously shared his cold with his mother.  We are both on the mend now though, so that's a great thing.  We're looking forward to this weekend!

Tonight we're going to a Western Hoedown at Zach's school.  He doesn't want to dress like a cowboy and he doesn't want to dance.  He is very interested in the chili cook-off, pie baking competition and putting someone in jail.  Will it be Mom, Dad or a teacher?  Bryan thinks the whole thing sounds ridiculous, so he gets my prison vote.  Wish I still had my Rockies, Ropers and a Red-neck hat.  Wonder if we'll do Billy Ray's Achy Breaky Heart.  Yee haw!

No comments: