Monday, March 2, 2009

My last ditch effort...

Well, the long awaited and much anticipated Accutane was finally prescribed for me today. It is probably easier to get a gun, and possibly even a mortgage... I had to fail two pregnancy tests, at least 30 days apart, before they would even write the Rx. I also had to read a 22 page booklet and initial repeatedly on two different informed consent forms. And I was interviewed by the doctor to ensure that I understood all that I'd read and to make sure that I was of sound mind. Hmmm.. I took my second pregnancy test last Thursday and skipped out of their office all excited to move on to the next step.

What's that, you say? The doctor's office has to input my info into a computerized system, confirming my negative pregnancy test. Then I access that same system from home, answer a bunch of questions again to make sure I fully understand the process and risks, and (upon passing the online test), I should have been approved to take my written Rx to the pharmacy to have it filled. However, due to a clerical error at the doctor's office.... The doctor's office failed to input my info! And, since they are closed on Fridays, no one was able to clear up the error before today. The gov't regulations stipulate that the dr's office has 48 hours to input the pregnancy test results before the test becomes invalid. So, I had to go back to the dr today to repeat the pregnancy test. (Yes, with my kids. Yes, before school. Yes, they ate McD's in the car again.)

So, after the THIRD negative pregnancy test, the dr's office got my info into the system, I passed the silly online test, and finally got the Rx filled at Walgreen's. The gov't mandates EVERYTHING regarding this drug... The Rx can only be written for 30 days at a time, so I will repeat the pregnancy test and mental health screenings in the dr's office every month, plus I will always have to rely on them to do the necessary computer work so that I can do mine. Let's hope it goes smoothly from here on out!

Speaking of smooth.. I have struggled with moderate to severe acne since I was about 10 years old. I am not overly concerned with my appearance, but there have been many times when I've cried over my reflection in the mirror, and some days I refused to leave the house. However, I've been using Arbonne's acne line for several months. It has helped a great deal, but the flare-ups can still be intense and the scars are awful. If you are in pregnancy/breastfeeding mode, you cannot take Accutane, but you can use the Arbonne products. I have never recommended ANYTHING for the face before. I do recommend Arbonne's acne line... I can't take it while on Accutane, but I have some left if someone wants to try it.

I'm only trying Accutane because the doctor firmly believes that it will cure my acne and I've had several friends who have used it with great success. This truly is my last ditch effort (again). I am not obsessed (Arbonne is working well enough) but if I can have nice skin, why not give it a shot?

Do not expect to see any before and after pictures. That's why I have PhotoShop. I've had good skin in pictures for a few years now!

No comments: