Monday, February 22, 2010

Healthier eating

I've changed a lot about my diet in the last several months and I get asked every now and again for some of my favorite recipes.  So...  I thought I'd share them here.

I try to eat salad for lunch several times a week.

Super-packed heart-healthy salad
Spring Mix Greens from a bag
Half of an apple - diced
Half of an avocado - diced
Handful of diced grilled chicken breast
Small handful of dried cranberries
Small handful of shredded mozzarella or colby jack cheese
Slivered almonds
Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette
Topped with crumbled whole wheat crackers

And just about every night I have a smoothie.

Low-fat fruit smoothie
Always 1 cup of frozen strawberries
Always 1 banana
Always 1 tablespoon of wheat germ
I like to add...  Frozen blueberries or raspberries, or canned pineapple, or a splash of orange juice.
After throwing in all of my fruit, I add desired amount of skim milk.
Occasionally I will add yogurt (if I have some that's going to go to waste) but I prefer it without.

And as a special treat, tonight I'm trying this new bread recipe!

Sugar-free banana carrot bread
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 cups flour (next time I'll try whole wheat!)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 to 4 medium-sized, very (very) ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups mashed)
1/2 cup carrots (might double this next time)
Top with slivered almonds
(Next time I might add nuts throughout.)

Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan. In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, blend the milk, oil, vanilla, bananas and carrots until well mixed. Stir in the dry ingredients by hand, being careful not to over-mix; a few lumps are okay.  Spread the batter into your prepared loaf pan, and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the top is browned and toothpick comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.


My two greatest struggles are my sweet tooth and my craving for salty foods.  I try to reach for an apple (or a smoothie!) when I'm wanting dessert and a handful of almonds when I'm craving chips.  These are daily issues for me!!!

2 comments:

Marci said...

I'll try that bread! I hear you on the sweet tooth - it's a daily issue for me, as well. Berries will satisfy it, most often...

Anonymous said...

Sorry but the doughnuts below are more appealing! :)