Friday, February 19, 2010

Reaching for running shoes

A few days ago I stumbled upon something someone had written about PCOS, a condition that I was diagnosed with a year and a half ago.  My doctor has totally treated it like it's really not that big of a deal, so I haven't thought much of it.  However, this woman (diagnosed with it years ago) said that (among other things) PCOS can cause weight gain, elevated blood pressure and high cholesterol.  Since having my last child, I have experienced all three of these things.  I had attributed it to aging and an utter lack of exercise, but now I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the PCOS. 

Either way...  It's clearly time to make some lifestyle changes.  Our diet improved months ago, but I still sit on the couch while watching TV.  So...  Last night, I decided to do sit-ups and push-ups while watching my DVR’d shows. Today I went into the basement and brought my 5 lb weights up to add to my morning "routine".  (WOW.  I have a routine?) And, on my drive home from carloop this afternoon, I was telling myself that I should run on nice days – especially since my husband is laid-off and can stay home with the kids while I get out!

I used to be a runner. And an avid aerobics girl. There was one problem though...  I exercised abusively to escape some unresolved issues… This – what started last night – is my first step towards using exercise in a healthy way. After nearly NINE YEARS of absolutely no exercise (for fear of relapsing into abusive exercise), I think I’m ready to give it another go.  The last time I said these words out loud (blogging does qualify as out loud, right?), I bawled. A lot.  It’s not so scary today.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

When the weather gets nicer (if it ever does), we should try to get out and walk/run together.