Monday, January 17, 2011

Two gain warmth from each other

I am a talker.  An open book.  I blog many of my thoughts and much of the happenings in our lives...and what I don't blog about I certainly share in conversations with girlfriends.

I had a moment today when I realized something precious...  A secret, a matter kept private between two people, fosters a great deal of intimacy.  No one else knows, so you come to each other.  Sharing your heart, your feelings, your thoughts, your desires, your fears...  When these emotions are shared only among husband and wife, it might just take an otherwise completely open couple to a place that their relationship has never been before. 

Community is wonderful.  Our marriage is repeatedly built up and held up within our group of friends.  Yet turning to each other, sharing with each other, relying on each other, finding strength and reassurance from each other -- that is all a part of God's perfect and beautiful design for marriage.

Two people can accomplish more than twice as much as one; they get a better return for their labor. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble. And on a cold night, two under the same blanket can gain warmth from each other. But how can one be warm alone?  Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

No comments: