Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fathers and sons

Three generations - June 2007

I finished It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men last night. As I read the book, I kept thinking that this is one that every father should read!

I do not know if it's because of the fact that I am raising two boys, or a product of the close relationship I have with my husband, but I often think about the challenges of being a husband and father. There are a lot of responsibilities that he has that I do not; primarily providing financially, worrying about job security, balancing work and family, and serving as our family's spiritual leader.

In the eight years that we've been together, I have noticed one major difference between Bryan and me. I rarely think twice about talking to him about the things that are weighing heavily on my heart and mind, but he generally considers the "burden" it will be on me before telling me things. Therefore, many things that are on Bryan's mind go unsaid - at least until he's had time to take some of the emotion out of what he's feeling. But he does talk to his dad.

As I was reading Mr. Cathy's book, I was so grateful for the kind of fathers that Bryan and his dad are. Bryan instinctively does many of the things Truett Cathy writes about; although I'm not sure that Bryan knows the impact these things can have. I think Bryan just emulates his parents, and I am so grateful for their influence on our lives! My in-laws are amazing parents. As I think about Bryan's father, I am touched by his honesty and availability. He has shared a lot of wisdom with me and given me a lot of good advice and encouragement over the years. Since I do not have a father, this is something that is deeply meaningful to me. What a super awesome blessing for Bryan to have had his dad his ENTIRE LIFE! I believe that a close relationship between father and son can have benefits beyond my imagination.

"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me." Mark 9:37

"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." Proverbs 22:1

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

No comments: