Friday, April 17, 2009

The power of choice and responsibility

Choice and responsibility are two words that could possibly give me hives. Give me a lot of couches to choose from when decorating my living room, and I will leave the store confused and overwhelmed with nothing purchased. Tell me that I'm responsible for five kids at the playground and I'll opt to play in my own fenced-in backyard! But there was a critical point in my life when those two words were empowering, freeing and encouraging.

"I am responsible for my day." Those words hung on my high school counselor's office wall. I was a deep thinker even then, so every time I read those words I was reminded that I would be the one to choose what direction my life would take. Others could only influence me so much... the rest was up to me!

Now, of course I know that God is all-knowing, all-powerful and has the perfect plan and purpose for my life. But in order for God's will to take place, I had to first make the decision to obediently follow him. There have been a lot of disastrous wrong decisions made along my life's journey, but all-in-all, I do believe that one day I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments: