Monday, April 27, 2009

"I trust my parents"

We spent the last two days at an indoor water park with friends who were visiting from out of town. Our oldest son is not a risk taker or adventurer, while our younger son is more of the bungie jumping type. At one point during our first day, Bryan became discouraged because he could not convince Zach to go down "the big slides" with him. Zach would not even consider it. He was content to slide down the 12' slides in the "baby pool", but would not go near the adult slides. As Bryan and I were talking, I said something really wise and deep about loving our children for WHO they are and not what they do or do not do. Bryan absolutely loves our kids this way... He just wants so badly for Zach to live a life that is not ruled by fear.

Our friends had to leave this morning, so it was jut the four of us at the water park today. Luke said he wanted to try one of the big kid slides on the fort (single riders only) and that requird both Mom and Dad. This meant that Zach had to come too. Zach was upset; not wanting to climb up into the fort (he's afraid of heights). But that was part of being in our family today. We all climbed up together. I slid first and then Bryan was going to send Luke down, and would then walk back down with Zach. Much to our surprise, Zach hopped in the slide and came down! From then on, Zach was a sliding maniac today. Every slide. Over and over again. He and Bryan even fell out of their raft once and Zach declared it to be fun and went again!! As he and I were climbing our way up to the tallest slide today, I told him how proud I was and asked what made him change his mind. "I trust my parents."

As I listened to those simple words filled with trust and faith, I was reminded of our Heavenly Father. Throughout our lives, we will all face new opportunities or frightening callings... God wants us to trust our parent - Him. He will always catch us and He never asks us to do anything that He won't equip us to do.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

Zachary going head-first down the slide!
(take a few mins to listen to the song linked)

No comments: