Saturday, July 17, 2010

Home... Sweet home

My husband took one glance at the untitled list below and said, "What? A list of everything you love about this city?" He knows me so well.

I love it here. Why?

Hydrangeas. Redbud trees. Fields of wildflowers. Freshly mowed hay. Wide open spaces. Mid-town lofts. Tudor homes. Charming downtown areas. Stone buildings. University campuses. Art museums. History museums. Fountains. Monuments. Bridges. City views. Free Friday night outdoor movies. Free summer concert series. Drive-in movies. Unexpected corn fields in the suburbs. Cattle and horses within city limits. Silos. Farm houses. Abandoned barns. Country music. Carhartt. County fairs. Carnivals. Festivals. Parades. July 4th celebrations. Christmas lights. Four seasons. Apple picking. Pumpkin patches. Sledding. Outdoor ice skating. Excellent day trips. Fireflies. Blue Birds and Cardinals. The sounds of crickets. Huge front porches. Backyard gardens. Fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. Farmers markets. Peaches and cream corn on the cob. Parks. Climbing trees. Creeks. Bike trails. Neighborhood pools. City pools. A wonderfully uncomplicated international airport. Tornado sirens. Basements. The fact that I have heard the whistle of a train from every single home I've ever had in this wonderful city. Covered wagons and outhouses.

Oops.. Those last two are from my great-grandmother's era.

And incredibly nice, neighborly people.

We even have a ski resort and wineries ... not that we ski or drink wine. But I still think it's neat.

My home. Sweet home.

No comments: