Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I had a noodle date!

Did you read that post title in your best Po's Daddy's voice from Kung Fu Panda?  My kids will totally love and appreciate that title.  That is, assuming they read this blog...which Luke won't since he can't.  Can't read, that is.

Anyway...  I digress.

As I was on my way to pick Luke up from school today, I was trying to think of something special to do for lunch.  A picnic?  Meet a friend at Chic-fil-a?  Just come home and clean the inside of the van together?  (You know how kids love to help...and it was a beautiful day!)

As we were pulling away from school, I'd honestly decided to come home and clean the van.

Then...  My friend Sarah was waving us down.  She had a voucher for an entirely free lunch for two at Noodles & Company, but was unable to use it.  She wondered if Luke and I might like to go on a date.

The Chic-fil-a is just across the street from the new Noodles & Company, so I clearly had no aversion to the drive.

So...  We gladly accepted her kind offer and headed off for an afternoon date.  We arrived about an hour before our reservation, so we walked the mall.  We window shopped, tried on jewelry and admired handbags, laughed about oddly posed mannequins, played on the escalator, made new friends in the play area, declined a new cellular service, and even found twenty bucks!

Then we had lunch.  Yummy.  Free!

And after, we wandered over to see what all the fuss is about at the American Girl store.  I didn't even like dolls when I was a child, but I'd imagine that this store is a dream come true for many little girls.  Luke liked all the bank-breaking accessories - strollers, typewriter, dogs, trundle bed, the tepee, horses.  His favorite was the tree house.  Let this serve as a clue to not ever enter a Lego store.  I can only imagine...

It was a wonderful day.  Bryan got a huge kick out of me recently saying that I didn't see how anyone would ever want to have nine children.  I didn't mean it in any hateful way; I was merely meaning that I don't know how I could possibly get this sort of one-on-one time very often with a larger family -- and I just adore the precious occasions of "only you and me time" with our kids.

Thank you, Sarah, for sending Luke and me on a date.  I hope to one day be able to repay the favor!

No comments: