Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First time on the course

Gina and I went out to practice our swim and bike on the course last night.  I was super nervous and intimidated.  As a newbie, I envisioned all these polished racers whose way I would be in.

As it turns out, I passed the two swimmers in front of me and finished my 500 meters in 12 1/2 minutes.  I could not have been more pleased!  And those two girls...  Well, this is not their first tri...and I passed them...pinch me!  They were super nice and encouraging as we chatted after the swim.

I still can't believe I did that swim.  I was so afraid of it.

Gina and I were the only ones on mountain bikes.  And I was carrying a paper map since we'd never been on the course before.  As we tried to make heads or tails of where we should be going, three bikers came up behind us.  We asked if they were familiar with the course, and then announced that we'd just follow them.  One of the ladies replied, "Not on those bikes."  NO JOKE.  I laughed and said we'd do our best to watch them way up ahead and follow where they lead.  I will never recognize their faces, but we refer to them now as the mean girls.

The ride itself was amazing.  Somehow, when clothed in a dripping wet swimsuit, 100 degrees doesn't feel bad at all as the sun is setting and the breeze is blowing.  We were surrounded by pastures, crops, hay and beautiful houses and barns.  How can anyone not believe in God, when you take in the majesty of His creation at sunset on a bike?

As we made our way back to our car after the ride, the mean girls were there cheering for us.  Maybe they're not so mean after all.

We finished the bike course in 55 minutes.

We ran across the parking lot and back after the swim and bike.  Our legs felt like logs!  Good thing we have 59 days to work that out.

3 comments:

Cori said...

I am so envious of your swim time! I am just so lousy at it. Any tips?

The one girl said...

Funny you should ask... I remembered how obsessed you were with books and videos to improve your running when you first started to get serious, so I checked out tri books and watched videos on swimming! It might also help that I'm afraid of what lurks in the water, so I am easily motivated to keep moving and do so as efficiently as possible! Running is another story.

The one girl said...

I love the swimming tips in Sam Murphy's "Triathon: Start to Finish", and Joe Friel's "The Triathlete's Training Bible" is good too.