We were ill-equipped for marriage on our own. It is only through the grace of God that I am still married to this incredible man. I love you, B.
My sweet friend Jennifer asked me to share the story of how we met. So, here goes. Just the highlights though, carpooling awaits.
- We met in the commons area of our high school during lunch. I was 13 1/2, he was 14 1/2.
- Throughout high school, we did not date. I had no idea he was even interested in me. He says we talked on the phone often, but I have no memory of that. Paralyzed and half feeling like I deserved it, I watched someone steal my wallet out of my purse when I was in 8th grade. Bryan was the one who encouraged me to tell the Vice Principal right away. The thief dropped it in the hall; so, thanks to Bryan, I found my voice (albeit temporarily) and retrieved my stolen property.
- He graduated 3 1/2 years later. In my yearbook, he proposed we elope. In his yearbook, I proposed we hang out "as friends". I used those two blessed words five times!
- He went off to college. I had one year of high school left. We never did hang out as friends.
- Three years later, he saw "the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on" through a store window. It was me. His buddy was rushing him off though, so he didn't get to come in to say hello.
- Seven years after the store window, he messaged me through classmates.com. The stars had aligned. I was going through a divorce and moving back home from Florida. He lived in my mom's apartment complex. He was single.
- We started dating as soon as I moved home and married six months after my divorce was final. Some thought it was so fast that my sweet aunt frantically blurted, "Is it even legal?"
- Her point was taken... We were marrying against the odds. It was rushed. I was broken.
- But God is good. He used Bryan's stubbornness and exceedingly loyal nature to hold us together when I wanted to run... And He ultimately (and rather quickly, I might add) did a mighty work in healing me into the kind of wife Bryan deserves.