Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Richly blessed

I joined Facebook last week. My very first Facebook friend was a blast from the far past... One of my very first friends - a girl I met when I was 5 years old. I hadn't talked to her since 1995, so it was a very pleasant and unexpected surprise. A few days later, I was reconnected with two other girls who were some of my very best friends during my teen years. I hadn't heard from them since 1990.

My life was not exactly charmed when I knew these girls... There was a lot of turmoil and very little happiness. When I look back at that time in my life, I am amazed at just how much these girls and their friendship impacted my life. We were just kids - just fooling around at the public pool, ice skating rinks, and slumber parties - but what was normal, run-of-the-mill fun is something that I recognize now as a tremendous blessing in my life. As an adult and leader in ministry, I catch myself talking about relationships and using words like "pouring into someone" - referring to time, efforts and emotion that I invest in another human being. As kids, these friends did not know they were doing just that - pouring goodness into my life. I didn't sit around thinking about it (after all, I was just a little kid) but these friends showed me love and gave me hope and an expectation that things could get better. I'm so glad that I knew them then and have the chance to know them again now.

I do not believe in coincidences... I believe in my heart that these girls were placed in my life at a time when I most needed them. They were God's gift to me. His ever present provision. I am humbled that He would think that much of me.

No comments: