Monday, May 18, 2009

for KIDS by KIDS

I am so excited to finally be able to write about this... For quite some time Zach has been wanting to have a bike-a-thon, but he didn't know what his "cause" should be. When he boldly announced a couple of weeks ago that Bryan and I should "collect" children who are mistreated by their parents, we began talking about other ways that we could help those kids. The "cause" was discovered for the boys' much anticipated bike-a-thon!

Over the last couple of weeks, we have been working with a local child abuse prevention and victim's advocacy center to nail down a date. We had only asked if we could use their parking lot and they have generously offered to open their building so that we can use their restrooms and water fountains. Happy Bear will also be there to meet the kids, they are providing a station for the kids to color pictures of Happy Bear, they will provide educational materials for parents to take home with them, and some of the organization's staff and volunteers will also be in attendance!

In addition to benefiting the child abuse prevention and victim's advocacy center, the bike-a-thon proceeds will also go to an amazing organization that works predominantly with foster children and adoptees throughout our state. They are dedicated to keeping children safe, families strong and communities involved.

for KIDS by KIDS...
A bike-a-thon benefiting abused and foster children in our state
July 11, 2009
9am - 10:30am
(Email me or see my FaceBook for location info - RSVP's needed)

Cost is $5 per rider. A bake sale will also take place at the bike-a- thon.

In the mean time... Our family has been making insane amounts of Amish Friendship Bread. The kids will sell it during our neighborhood garage sale May 29-30 (all proceeds going to the bike-a-thon). If you are in the area, stop by and "be a FRIEND to a child in need".

Enjoy some pictures of Operation Amish Friendship Bread...

Ingredients are out

And we're off

The boys baking with bed-head (7:30am)

I couldn't believe all this fit in my oven - and NOTHING burned!

The first batch - we made THREE BATCHES in 24 hours.

We ask for your prayers for these incredible organizations, the children and families whose lives are touched by their services, and our sweet little bike-a-thon. It is my prayer that my children will enjoy serving others and that they will be so very blessed by this experience. Through the baking alone they have seen that serving others is a sacrificial thing, it can take a lot of time and hard work, but that it is also yummy, fun and so very well worth it. They cannot wait to hand over a wad of cash to these organizations, and they are also daydreaming every single day about racing their bikes around that parking lot with their friends. We hope to see you there!

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:31-40

No comments: