Saturday, May 9, 2009

A special day indeed

As a young girl all I ever wanted to be was a wife and mother. Being a teacher was third on my list but it would not trump being a stay-at-home mom. I went to a junior college for 2 1/2 years (sometimes only part time) and then made the decision to move to Florida. With little effort, I landed a well-paying corporate job right away. Since it paid well and was just a job (no plans for a "career") I never went back to school. Sometimes I wish I had, just so that I'd have that experience... But, honestly, I was a terrible student. With the exception of one great semester in college, I rarely studied. My GPA reflects this, and I regret it. I wish I'd have at least made an effort during the time I was in college!

While I regret not making the most of those years, I do not regret for a second the decision I made long ago to be a stay-at-home mom. What I am doing now is absolutely the greatest joy and honor of my life. Mother's Day is a heart-warming and fun day for me. Not because I'm treated like a princess or am given lavish gifts, but because it's a day dedicated to celebrating my dreams that have come true. I thank God daily for the incredible life that I have, but I do not remember to celebrate it every day. It is work; hard work. And I am generally paid in diapers, dishes, meals to prepare, laundry to do, spills to clean, noses or bottoms to wipe... and the best hugs, kisses, art work, love letters and precious compliments. I wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world.

Thank you God for the gifts you have bestowed upon me... What you have done in my life far exceeds anything I could have ever imagined. A happy Mother's Day indeed!

No comments: