Friday, November 6, 2009

Heart smart superfoods

So, here's the deal. My doctor's office called the other day with my lab results. My cholesterol (and whatever other bad things they measure) is slightly elevated. By slightly, we're talking 5 points or so... My good cholesterol is also high -- about 12 points high! She said that's good, but the doc is still recommending a no/low fat diet and exercise.

Inside, I was somehow offended by the news. How dare you call and tell me such things? And you want me to come back in six months? I'll show you. High cholesterol. Not gonna happen.

No or low fat? I've got to be honest. Other people buy those items. I reach for all the fat! But no more. I've warned my family that our lifestyle is about to change and we'll all have to adjust to the new taste of our food. But we'll adjust and be all the better for it.

I found this information yesterday. If this is true, I don't see a reason for our labs to come back high next time. We'll see.

This is me sneaking veggies into our chili last night! The kids would pick around them if there were chunks, so I pureed 1/3 of a cup each: carrots, celery and red bell pepper. It was simple and delish!

Heart smart chili
1 lb ground turkey
1 can each: white beans, kidney beans, red beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
Pureed carrots, celery, red bell pepper
1/4 of a white onion, pureed
2 cloves garlic
Chili pepper, parsley, basil and oregano to taste

Bryan laughed when he saw three avocados in the fruit bowl and a bag of almonds on the counter. I mean business with this healthy eating thing. Little does he know that a spinach salad is on our dinner menu for tonight. He will not be pleased.

No comments: