Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Support groups

Kids are back in school and churches everywhere are gearing up for fall Bible studies, Small Groups, etc. Many people have asked me how things are coming for my fall sexual abuse support group, so I thought I'd share what's been going on in that department...

There were some mandatory training classes that I needed to attend in the spring to get up to speed with some changes our church is making regarding group format. With Bryan working the night shift, 6-7 days per week, I wasn't able to attend the meetings. There was a second round of classes this summer, and deadlines for leader sign-up, and that happened to be in the middle of Luke's cancer scare. There was just no time for me to prepare for a fall group, so it seems obvious that leading a support group right now is not God's plan for me.

If this were any previous semester I would be devastated by this, but I truly feel at peace with this "wait and see approach". What does God have in store for me? I am meeting with some survivors one-on-one right now, and that's really not possible when I'm leading a group each week, mothering and being a wife! I am humbled and honored by the opportunity to meet with these women individually as they process through their specific circumstances.

When Bryan was gone so much, I wasn't able to keep up with my online group either. I am really looking forward to getting back to that in the next couple of weeks. When I was blogging there daily, countless men and women from around the world were being ministered to. That blog takes me at least an hour a day though, so I've got to find the time slot that works best for my family now that Zach's in school M-F, Bryan's working till 6pm (three hours later than his previous "normal" schedule), and Luke is no longer napping.

Once I figure out what my volunteerism looks like at Zach's school, I would like to see if there is time for me to work with one of the agencies that benefited from the bike-a-thon. I would really love that -- and my heart is certainly with their work -- but our lives are really changing with this new season in the boys' lives. I want so deeply to help abused and neglected children, but I also want to be sure I'm not doing that instead of being a part of my children's lives.

I am so very elated with how God has used my life. He has brought some serious beauty from ashes. I give him all the praise and glory for who and where I am at today, and I am so appreciative of every chance I have to help someone else get through what they are going through.

One of my very favorite Bible verses...

"Who redeems your life from the pit; Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things; so that your youth is renewed like the eagle." Psalm 103:4-5

God is good. All the time.

No comments: